Diabetes mellitus is a chronic metabolic disorder of primary metabolism characterized by persistent hyperglycemia due to absolute or relative insulin deficiency.
Diabetes knows no boundaries. It can affect anyone irrespective of race, gender or age.
People initially thought that diabetes only occurs in those with a family history. That is a lie.
2017 statistics revealed that approximately 11.2 million people in Nigeria are diabetic with a prevalence of 5.77%.
SYMPTOMS OF DIABETES MELLITUS INCLUDE
- Increased thirst
- Increased frequency and volume of urine
- Increased eating habit
- Weight loss
- Increased susceptibility to infection
- FBS ≥7mmol/l
- 2 hours post prandial/RBS ≥11.1mmol/l
COMPLICATIONS OF DIABETES
- Myocardial infarction
- Foot ulcer
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Diabetic nephropathy
- Diabetic neuropathy
MANAGEMENT OF DIABETES
- Regular check of blood sugar
- Frequent hospital visits for check up
- Avoiding diets with high sugar content
- Regular exercise
- Diabetic education
- Adherence to medications